Wednesday, 9 March 2011

Hummingbird cakes

So here are the hummingbirds I promise to make last weekend but didn't because a lot of events cropped up and I didn't have much time to indulge in baking. Sneaked some time in last night though ;) The cake itself was relatively easy to make because it used oil instead of butter, so no mixer needed. The recipe called for a boatload of flour though, which perplexed me, because I ended up with batter for more than 12 muffins, and the cakes turned out GINORMOUS!

But I need to digress. Because the first time I heard about this cake was again at Whisk@ESG with my Austrahleean friend, and it turns out to be a banana and pineapple cake. So now I'm like, "I need a pretty name for my banana muffins", and she asks, "What did you have in mind?" So one of the names I came up with was 'peacock' because it's such a grand bird but she said, "I'm not going to eat a cake called Peacock." Fine lor...

How's 'Canary' then? :D

So back to my hummingbirds. They were this big...


As usual, I'd reduced the sugar and increased the fruits. Er...maybe less pineapples next time. They might look round and puffy and all...


but I needed to turn them over onto their (supposedly) flat tops. Since mine was round and puffy and all, I got this instead...


Admittedly very funny looking, but I don't think was intended to be that way. The picture in the book definitely did not look that way. They looked...tall and thin. Crap, I have short and pudgy muffins. I have baby chicks instead of elegant hummingbirds. 

But then they didn't look so bad after the icing and sprinkling of pecan nuts. So final output?


Cute, right...So cute, in fact, that I forgot to take a photo of what it looks like inside because I've given them all away =P 



No comments:

Post a Comment