Monday, 11 April 2011

Macarons, Part 3

The Gardener came back in a big huff the other day over how some BFM DJs kept pronouncing 'macarons' as 'macaroons', which is a common error. The two refer to completely different things, though, but both equally tasty :)

This is a macaron (mak-kuh-ron):


And this is a macaroon (mak-kuh-roooon):


Both uses egg whites and sugar, but a macaroon contains grated coconut and no special technique, while a macaron uses ground almonds and also requires some sort of filling and a hell of a lot of practice. 

Hence, the part 3 ahem.

This time around, I managed to get only a few cracked shells (yay me!), but some of the feet were lopsided, and I still couldn't get the almonds to be as fine as I wanted. Proof:


Excuse the misshapen one at the side. A whole lump of ground almond escaped from the piping bag :-s
But see! Almost none cracked!


Feet! Also excuse the lopsided feet there :P I believe it's the pan...hmm...


And off to the fridge to store for a night after sandwiching the chocolate filling. 

At this point, I didn't have the heart to take any more pictures because I couldn't get over the frustration of the coarse almonds...grumble grumble grumble...Am determined to try again! And soon!

*I've been making so many chocolate bakes that Ms. Evelyn finally realized I'm a chocolate fanatic. So yea, I should change the name of this blog to Choco-line or something like that :D





No comments:

Post a Comment